Tuesday 31 January 2012

6 ways i blow off steam..

When I'm in a heated situation, caught up in a negative moment or just plain frustrated, these are ways I use to blow off a little steam, re-cooperate and simply fall into a place of relief & positive re-assessment.

Turn it on up! Listening and singing along at the top of my lungs to an all time favorite song. Gets me giddy, upbeat, caught up in the song and not whatever else is going on around me “Never fails”

Breathe & get your stretch on. Mind, body & soul are all connected. It’s always made sense to me to just breathe deeply and strike a yoga pose. I’ll plonk myself down or across the middle of my living room or simply close the office door for some meditation therapy. “Powerful stuff!”

Take a hike. Disassociate from the moment completely. Walking away sometimes helps for me to remove myself from the ‘negative space’ or the ‘ora’ around me. Whether it’s a walk to the next room, walk around the block or a walk along the beach. “When I need to take it easy”

Boot camp that body. Yes exercising of course!! And I’m not talking walk… I’m talking; intense breath stealing, sweat producing exercise! Boxing, running, swimming, cycling, weight training, aerobics. Any type or form. Exercising not only improves blood flow giving the body more energy but it is also know for releasing endorphins - positive and happy chemicals and ‘state of mind’. Healthy body, happy heart, peaceful mind.   “Bonus”

Get your nerd on. Read a good book. If not a book, a magazine. If I choose to read a magazine at the time, I make sure it is an interesting article that I’m going to pay attention to and read it until the end. Watching TV or flipping through pages and looking briefly at images leaves space and time for your mind to wonder and think and feel emotion you’re trying to divert from. The whole point is to be completely part of the story; engaged, focused & attentive to every word.

Simply assess and analyze.  Sometimes one is not able to divert the frustration or anger and you need to deal with the situation or problem then and there. Find a quiet place and give yourself a moment.  Change your mindset and strive for a clear point of view and solution to find a place of harmony.

“Anger, rage and frustration can be most unhealthy to the body, leading to high-blood pressure, strokes and heart attacks, as well as the entire body, physically and emotionally, being affected adversely.  In a study of almost 13,000 subjects, it was found that individuals with the highest level of anger had almost twice the risk of coronary heart disease and three times the risk of heart disease than people in the study with lower levels of anger and anxiety.  Therefore, it is crucial to human health and well-being to find ways of dissipating the feelings of anger and anxiety through healthy ways.  These emotions should never be suppressed, just expressed, alleviated, dealt with or settled in a better way for overall better physical & psychological health, relationships and friendships, other people and interactions”  [©helium]
Therefore, these ways I’ve found to blow off steam, yet simple and sometimes obvious, are rather critical to being a happier, healthier me. Dealing with stress and anger effectively result in having an overall better life and attitude towards life, people and situations

No comments:

Post a Comment