Thursday 15 September 2011

How to organize a fundraiser for charity



"Most rewarding blessed accomplished and happiest expereince ever! I cannot wait to organise my next one!"


How I did it: My 20th birthday wish last year was to hand over to AURORA Centre for mentally and physically disabled adults and children, a cheque of funds raised from tickets sales and donations. With my love of fashion came the idea of a fashion show fundraiser. I requested friends, family and advertised that everyone purchase tickets to support my chosen charity, celebrate my birthday with me, and make it a time of giving instead of getting!

The fashion Show showcased clothing from 3 boutiques / stores as well as garments designed by two Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University 3rd year fashion student designers. Amongst the models were 2 Miss Port Elizabeth finalists.

I listed all the things that would go into making a successful fashion show and started organising from the top to the bottom of my list. I contacted models to model for free in the show, contacted locations and set up meetings with the owners and had a superb club location given to use to use for the evening, and I had everything else donated, from the ramp to the DJ, to the clothing. When you organise something for charity everyone opens their hearts. Not only was it an event to remember and a smashing success regards to funds raised, but I had so much fun organising it and met so many new and interesting people!



Lessons & tips: Combine your love of something with your fundraiser and it is sure to be an exciting, passionate and rewarding event.

Get friends and family involved. Advertise in you local classifieds, fee online classifieds, you local radio stations classifieds, and submit a letter to your local newspaper stating the fundraiser you’re organising for whom, and why and they'll be sure to write up an article and publish it!



Resources: Search the net for ideas relating to the fundraiser you're organising to ensure you have the perfect checklist in both the organising phase as well as the smooth running on the actual day of the event.


It took me 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment