Wednesday 28 September 2011

How to run a half marathon

To sum it up: "A feeling of ccomplishment and self-worthiness. Priceless experience!"

How I did it: 


I’d only ever run 5km races when I mentioned to my newly best friend that I thought I'd die if I ran 10km. Slowly but surely she helped me turn 5km into 6km, 6 into 7 and 7 into 10km! Little did I know, she had run a half marathon (21 KM) before and convinced me it was the absolute most amazing exhilarating experience to accomplish such an achievement – especially after struggling to finish 5km in good time as I did and as she did when she first started running. All that was needed was drive, determination, training and commitment. We entered the South African Kysna Forest half marathon and started training! We followed an 8 week training program and followed the tips below. The BIGGEST help in the journey was having her there to support and push me and encourage me! Find someone with the same goals or encourage someone to join in on your goal with you! Don’t start training and then find a race. Pick a race – ENTER and work towards that race! It’s more motivating and encouraging and forces you to obtain and achieve your goal!

Lessons & tips:

TRAINING Program:



Four Training Universals 

 - Rest means no running. Give your muscles and synapses some serious R&R so all systems are primed for the next workout. Better two quality days and two of total rest than four days of mediocrity resulting from lingering fatigue. Rest days give you a mental break as well, so you come back refreshed.

- Easy runs mean totally comfortable and controlled. If you're running with someone else, you should be able to converse easily. You'll likely feel as if you could go faster. Don't. Here's some incentive to take it easy: You'll still burn 100 calories every mile you run, no matter how slow you go.
 - Long runs are any steady run at or longer than race distance designed to enhance endurance, which enables you to run longer and longer and feel strong doing it. A great long-run tip: Find a weekly training partner for this one. You'll have time to talk about anything that comes up.
 - Speedwork means bursts of running shorter than race distance, some at your race goal pace, some faster. This increases cardiac strength, biomechanical efficiency, better running economy, and the psychological toughness that racing demands. Still, you
want to keep it fun.

RACE DAY Tips:
http://www.sportscoach.netmx.co.uk/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1401




It took me 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment